A walk in the Park, a pastry in the café and a window into the domestic life of the elite in Dublin’s past.
Rathfarnham Castle is an Elizabethan period fortified house built in 1583 for the Archbishop of Dublin and Chancellor of Ireland Adam Loftus. Radically modern for the time, it combined defensive features such as musket loops and angled corner towers with the grandeur demanded by its high status owner. The building was thoroughly remodelled in the eighteenth century under a series of later owners to transform it into a fashionable Georgian period residence. Much of the neo-classical design and decoration which still characterises the building today can be attributed to the work of Sir William Chambers and James ‘Athenian’ Stuart.
Combining Rathfarnham Castle and the Pearse Museum (five minutes drive away) offers two museums, two cafes, two parks and one playground all in the one day – a day with something to offer to all the family.
Summer (May to September inclusive):
Open seven days including Bank Holiday Mondays
9.30-5.30 (last admission 4.45)
Winter (October to April inclusive):
Open Wed-Sun 10.30-5.00 (last admission 4.15).